Do you expect it will be hard to find pet friendly hotel chains in New York City? You might imagine that dogs might be unwelcome in big city hotels. But, to my astonishment, I found that the Big Apple is quite a dog-friendly city!
Rather than try to give you a report on what I found – and what you might find – in New York, I’m going to just let you read a particularly informative excerpt from a website focusing on the abundance of pet friendly hotel chains in the Big Apple. The article is so long that I am breaking it into five parts.
New York City: Your Number One Pet Friendly Destination
Thinking about traveling to New York City in the near future? Can’t bear the thought of leaving your beloved animal companion to stay with strangers while you’re gone?
Think no more! Visitors to the Big Apple will be pleasantly surprised to learn that New York City is one of the pet friendliest cities on the planet, a destination where just about every basic pet need can be accommodated.With hundreds of pet friendly hotels, dog runs, restaurants, attractions, pet stores—and dog and cat sitters galore—you can do it all here in the city that never sleeps! In other words, your pet companion never really has to leave your side. Just call up a pet friendly taxi or chauffeur, grab your leash or carrier, and start navigating the city, and you and your pet are good to go. In New York City “location is everything”, and that applies not only to the resident New Yorker. It also applies to pet owner tourists and visitors to the city who want to a find conveniently located pet friendly things, all of which can be found here on NYC.com.
Our Pet Friendly Hotel Guide gives you information below about:
Home to over 120,000 dogs, countless cats, birds, fish, and other exotic creatures, New York City was recently ranked as the number one pet friendliest city in the United States by Animal Fair Magazine. Over 100 hotels in the city accept and cater to visitors arriving in the Big Apple with pet companions in tow. In fact, if you’re willing and able to spend a little money on your pet during your stay in New York City, your pet might feel so lovingly pampered here that he or she might not want to leave when it is time to head back home.
NYC.com’s Top Ten Facts about Pet Friendly Hotels & Motels
1. The majority of hotels, motels, and resorts in the US and Canada do not allow guests to have pets of any sort in their rooms.
2. A “pet friendly hotel” is a hotel that allows guests to have a dog, cat, or other small animal in their rooms, and they usually provide services and items that cater directly to your pet’s day to day needs.
3. A “pet tolerant hotel” allows guests to have a dog, cat, or other small animal in their rooms, but offers little or no services or items which a traveling pet in a guest’s company might need.
4. Some pet friendly hotels do not charge extra for pets. But many charge either a per stay or per night pet fee. These fees are usually non-refundable and vary according to each hotel.
5. A deposit, on the other hand, will usually be refunded if your pet does no damage.
6. Some hotels are dog friendly only. Cats are not allowed.
7. Most hotels will expel dogs that bark and disturb other guests.
8. Pets are required to be on a leash or in a box or carrier during their stay at a pet friendly hotel when they are in places frequented by other hotel guests.
9. Pets are generally not allowed on furniture or beds, and are not allowed to enter hotel room bathroom facilities.
10. Hotel staff always need to be notified of a pet’s presence before room cleaning takes place each day during a guest’s stay.
All the above facts generally apply when making reservations for New York City pet friendly hotels or motels. In addition to understanding this pet relevant information, you will also need to decide on the right location of your hotel and the types of pet services and amenities you would like during your visit.
At the low end of the pet friendly hotel scale, you can book a “pet tolerant” hotel which allows your pet to stay with you in your room, but offers very little in terms of pet creature comforts or pampering. Sometimes this can actually mean that you are booked into a room that is normally reserved for hotel guests who smoke, and you are pretty much left to your own devices regarding the care and supervision of the pet traveling with you. At the high end of the pet friendly hotel scale are established hotels which not only welcome your pet, but also offer numerous services and amenities intended to provide them with a kind of royal pet treatment. Gold-plated id tags, massages, bone-shaped pillows, customized pet beds, complimentary toys and treats, boutique products, spa treatments and grooming services, even pet psychic consultations can be arranged at pet friendly hotels which operate according to the maxim that not only the customer, but also the pet, is king.
The advantage of booking a “pet tolerant” is, of course, price. So if you are concerned about the additional costs involved in staying in New York City with your pet, and feel comfortable shouldering the burden of responsibility in taking care of every aspect of your pet’s accommodations and overall well-being, this is definitely the way to go.
Article originally published at: http://www.nyc.com/visitor_guide/petfriendly_new_york_hotels.703633/editorial_review.aspx#tenfacts
Title of entire original article: Pet Friendly New York Hotels
In Part 2, titled “What Are the Best Pet Friendly Hotel Chains in The Big Apple?” (coming this week), you will learn exactly what hotels to contact to make reservations when visiting New York City with pets. For a wealth of information on traveling with pets, you can become a Pet Writes member. Membership is FREE. And full of benefits, like the latest updates on all kids of pet topics, as well as opportunities to share your stories in a variety of entertaining ways. Plus a valuable FREE GIFT to make your experience as a pet lover even more rewarding.
Chiwah Carol Slater
The Pet Story Passionista
Word Weaver Chiwah
Founder, PetWrites.com, WordWeaver4U.com
Here is a list of all five parts of this article:
- Part 1: So Many Pet Friendly Hotel Chains in The Big Apple? Who Knew?
- Part 2: What Are the Best Pet Friendly Hotel Chains in The Big Apple?
- Part 3: Need the Lowdown on Pet Friendly Travel to The Big Apple?
- Part 4: What Are the Keys to Pet Friendly Travel Once You’re in The Big Apple?
- Part 5: What Are Some Dog Friendly Restaurants in New York City?
Image credit: stuartphoto / 123RF Stock Photo